It has become a normal trend to have a pet at home. It is the best way to teach your child responsibility and let them take care of the pet. However, pet owners themselves experience problems with their pets due to low pet care awareness. Problems like cut paws, upset stomachs or infections are basic problems a pet may face.
In this post, some basic methods of pet care are described. You should look out for the following symptoms in your pet, so that you can know what steps you are supposed to follow:
- Your pet should not show signs of pain or irritation easily, that is why you have to be alert to notice the changes in your pet’s behavior.
- Where dogs are concerned, they are more expressive; they might yelp or hold their paw or even limp. On the other hand, cats are less vocal. They might hide or stick to their place if they are in pain.
- Look for signs like panting, hunching, refusing to eat, flinch when touched or squinting if an eye is paining or watery.
- Make sure you do not use any medication unless it is prescribed by the vet, in case you think your pet might have a fracture.
- Pain relievers for pet make their wound bleed more, so do not give pills as first aid, unless you surely know the problem. Remember that you should never give aspirin to cats.
- In case a pet needs a pain reliever, take him to the vet, they have a safer and effective medicine for relieving the pet of his pain after the diagnosis.
Mentioned above are the diagnoses of pain in pets and some tips on pet care. Once you know that your pet is suffering from pain because of the various reasons you should know the precautions to be taken while giving medicine to your pet:
- You can use medicines that contain steroids. These reduce pain and inflammation and works effectively on minor injuries like cuts and scrapes.
- Products containing Lana-cane or Solarcaine contain anesthetics that numb down the pain of sunburn or sores. These products should not be given to cats or used on cat burns.
- When you are not sure about a medicine and want to relieve your pet from pain until the vet diagnosis him, you can use ice to numb the pain of any skin injury, sunburn or bruises.