Monday, November 1, 2010
It is a very common among puppies to exhibit behaviors such as nipping and biting. This behavior may turn into dog aggression in future which would result in very serious consequences. This behavior should be stopped before the dog grows big. It is also an important aspect in pet care. This behavior would inflict serious injury.
This behavior of the puppies cannot be changed overnight. It is a very slow process and should be continued as a natural process of learning. Appropriate training should be provided for the puppy in mouthing and biting behavior. These behaviors of biting of the puppies are learnt from its mother.
Tips for training your pet puppy from biting all the things and dog care are mentioned below:
• Training the pet puppy should begin when the puppy is six weeks old.
• Emphasize every good behavior of your puppy and provide those praises and reward. For example: when the puppy is licking you without using its teeth.
• You can give a toy for chewing instead of your hand which can be chewed without causing much damage. While removing your hand do it very slowly without any jerk.
• The technique utilized for training the puppy should be regular. Care should be taken to ensure that all the family members use the same technique for training the puppies.
• Enroll the puppy in an obedience or professional training school. This would teach him to socialize with other dogs.
• React that you are hurt when the puppy bites you. Yell or say a loud NO when the puppy bites you. If it continues with the same behavior then just leave the room for some time. The puppy will recognize that you are hurt and that it would lose a playmate if does the same behavior.
• Avoid playing tug-of war and wrestling with your dog as it may encourage it to bite and also make it believe that biting is similar to playing.
• If the puppy is still continuing the behavior then adopt steps such as restricting it to move out freely or take away its food for sometime.
• Avoid physically punishing the puppy. Some pets may misunderstand it as a game to be played and will start enjoying it.
• Train him with the commands such as ‘Off’ so that you can utilize it to stop the puppy when it is biting you with extreme pressure.
• Show plenty of affection to your pet when it is not biting. This method would be fruitful when you are trying to stop the puppy from biting.
With the help of the above mentioned tips for dog care and training the puppy to stop biting all things. You have to take care that the techniques that you adopt to train the puppy should be consistent. It is a misconception that the biting of puppies is a playful behavior of the dog’s nature and should not be encouraged. You can enroll it in a dog training school.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
- Affectionate companions
Procuring this pet for the first time comprises of several aspects rather than just picking one out. You need to consider your pet as a family member and develop a deep bond with it. The unique bonding between cats and humans is awesome and even more incredible to experience. Moreover, cat companionship is something you would never want to give up. They can be affectionate companions, although they may require some time to adjust being at your home. If you follow the basic cat care tips you can give your pet a healthy long life.
- Provide proper diet
To understand how we can take care of pets also involves feeding it a proper diet. In case of cats, they are obligate carnivores and can eat animals like rats and fish to maintain their long term well being. If left on its own, the cat can finds ways to survive.
- Health tips
One can maintain his/her cat overall healthy in two ways – scheduling the annual preventive visit with the veterinarian as well as performing daily home examination. Cat owners have at least one book on cat care that includes emergency aid. Home care is not appropriate in all cases of serious injury and illness. One must familiarize himself with emergency procedures before an emergency happens.
- Veterinary advice
Many common human drugs are poisonous to cats. Cats, especially indoor cats, are now living longer than they have in past years. There are so many advances in veterinary care that many cats which develop chronic health problems can be cured at home by periodic visits to a vet.
Taking care of a cat requires a constant monitoring and regular veterinary check-ups. Choose a high quality nutritious food. All the above tips will help you in taking care of your cat.
- Bathing your cat
Best way to bath your cat is find an old window screen, keep it in the tub or sink, the cat will dig its claws into the screen and stay there entire time of bathing.
- Important tip
Invest in a scratching post that is 24 inches or 30 inches in height, but it should have a sturdy base. Cat may be using the arm of the sofa so that she can stretch higher than his scratching post will allow. Most of the ones you will find at the store are not so high, so you may need to visit a pet supply store.
Friday, September 3, 2010
Like cats and dogs, birds also need company and affection from its caregiver. Therefore, you must give a considerable time for your birds; otherwise, you will find major behavioral changes, if abandoned for long hours by you. Below are given few bird care tips for you.
You should always try to keep the cage of your bird clean. When bird turns up its bowl of seeds and makes a mess with its droppings, you need to clean the place as early as possible. In reality, you are expected to clean cage on daily basis. Birds also need ultra violet rays of sun because rays help in absorption of calcium from food they eat.
Calcium makes the bird’s muscles toned as well as makes its bones strong and tough. Caged birds are denied of sunlight because most of the time they remain indoors. You are suggested to keep the cage near the window through which UV rays can come in. Or you can place the cage outside to ensure that the best possible exposure to sun rays is given. You are able to cover a part of the cage with a cloth so that if bird feels too cold, then it can cover itself with the cloth. The cage must be washed with disinfectants on daily basis. Leftover food of the bird must be removed every morning. If the perch of your bird is of wood, then you should clean it with sand paper.
You should cover the bottom part of the cage using newspaper so that, you are able to remove it regularly and replace it with fresh paper. Diet of the bird must include right amounts of vitamins as well as minerals. You can give food items, which are rich in Vitamin A such as squash, spinach corn, potato and carrot. Nuts also turn out to be a food variation for a bird. Grooming is one of the most significant bird care tips. Birds should be bathed and cleaned well at usual intervals. Grooming activities such as feather molting and preening are helpful to make your bird look healthy and attractive enough.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) has provided Canine Vaccine Guidelines in 2006. These are considered as the standard recommendations in the field of dog health care.
Broadly speaking, dog vaccines are classified into two types viz. Core Canine Vaccinations and Non Core Canine Vaccinations. The former are the basic dog vaccines prescribed to all the dogs and the latter are the ones which are given only if the risk of infection in the dog is high.
Core Canine Vaccinations include canine distemper vaccine, canine rabies vaccine, canine parvovirus vaccine and canine adenovirus (CAV-2) vaccine. These are given to avoid diseases commonly found in dogs.
Leptospirosis vaccines, Lyme disease vaccine, Corona virus vaccine, Distemper-measles vaccine, Giardia Vaccine are a few Non-Core vaccines.
One should not experiment with the pet as far as possible. As for the dog vaccination at home, the entire procedure of mixing powder and liquid vials and injection should be learnt. The refrigeration of the vaccines is equally important for the effective dog health care.
Friday, May 28, 2010
Fish can live for a longer time compared to other pets, if taken care properly. Beginners can have a lot of queries on how to take care of a fish. In this post are mentioned facts and tips for tasks starting from setting up a tank for your fish to the installation of other accessories in your tank.
- Before buying your fish, research on the type of fish you prefer. Collect all the information you can about the fish you are going to buy.
- Every breed of fish requires a different environment to live in. Buy the tank considering the size of the fish and how big it can get, as well as preplanned your tank for bringing more fishes into the tank.
- When buying the fish, make sure that it is healthy one. They should not display any signs or symptoms of being ill such as cloudy eyes or slim looking bodies.
- Inquire about the water temperature and quality as of the main tank of the pet store. Keep the new freshwater fish in the quarantined water tank for a while. Let them stay there till around two to three weeks before you shift them to a new tank environment.
- Keep the tank away from the windows, doors or any source that heats up. If this is not done, your tank can have drafts and the water temperature might change and affect your fish.
- Check the water quality regularly for the ammonia, nitrite and pH levels. Such imbalances could cause sickness in your fish. You can also add an automatic filter in your tank that would balance and clean the tank every ten days. These freshwater fish care kits can be purchased from the pet store from where you bought your fish.
- Feed your fish with the already prepared fish food available in the market. Store the fish food in a cool and dry place and check for the expiry date on the package.
- With the help of a net, remove the uneaten food everyday. Also clean your net thoroughly before and after you put it into the water to avoid the spread of a possible infection.
- Place a canopy or hood over the tank so that nothing can fall into the water and spoil it. This is done also to avoid the jumping fish falling out of the tank.
- While installing accessories for the freshwater tank, keep in mind that the water conditions should not be made poor by drastic lighting, inside or outside the tank. These lights could lower the resistance of your freshwater fishes to disease.
Monday, May 17, 2010
It has become a normal trend to have a pet at home. It is the best way to teach your child responsibility and let them take care of the pet. However, pet owners themselves experience problems with their pets due to low pet care awareness. Problems like cut paws, upset stomachs or infections are basic problems a pet may face.
In this post, some basic methods of pet care are described. You should look out for the following symptoms in your pet, so that you can know what steps you are supposed to follow:
- Your pet should not show signs of pain or irritation easily, that is why you have to be alert to notice the changes in your pet’s behavior.
- Where dogs are concerned, they are more expressive; they might yelp or hold their paw or even limp. On the other hand, cats are less vocal. They might hide or stick to their place if they are in pain.
- Look for signs like panting, hunching, refusing to eat, flinch when touched or squinting if an eye is paining or watery.
- Make sure you do not use any medication unless it is prescribed by the vet, in case you think your pet might have a fracture.
- Pain relievers for pet make their wound bleed more, so do not give pills as first aid, unless you surely know the problem. Remember that you should never give aspirin to cats.
- In case a pet needs a pain reliever, take him to the vet, they have a safer and effective medicine for relieving the pet of his pain after the diagnosis.
Mentioned above are the diagnoses of pain in pets and some tips on pet care. Once you know that your pet is suffering from pain because of the various reasons you should know the precautions to be taken while giving medicine to your pet:
- You can use medicines that contain steroids. These reduce pain and inflammation and works effectively on minor injuries like cuts and scrapes.
- Products containing Lana-cane or Solarcaine contain anesthetics that numb down the pain of sunburn or sores. These products should not be given to cats or used on cat burns.
- When you are not sure about a medicine and want to relieve your pet from pain until the vet diagnosis him, you can use ice to numb the pain of any skin injury, sunburn or bruises.